Saturday, September 8, 2012

{Fairy Lights & Shiny Things}

If you happen to follow me on Pinterest, read my Five Favourites For Friday, or know me personally, you would know I have a love of fairy lights and shiny things! 

I have so many fairy lights sitting in the cupboard for Christmas time (and a few around the house that I turn on every now and then) so when I came across this brilliant tutorial for DIY Marquee Lights by Sugar&Cloth featured on Grey Likes Nesting, I knew I just had to give it a try.

Last week, there was a bit of excitement around here as Cairns finally got their own Masters hardware store.  I love this store!  Well, at Masters they have a range of wallpaper, including designs from the Laura Ashley range.  You might say - yeah, but what has that got to do with marquee lights?  Well, I'm glad you asked!  Masters let you take a 20cm SAMPLE of their wallpaper range.  How cool is that? (I won't tell you how many different samples I've already taken!)  So I used one of these samples to use in my marquee lights.

I also bought one of those cardboard letters from the discount store and used some battery operated lights that were sitting in the cupboard.  All up I spent a total of $3.00, which was for the cardboard letter.  So not only was my marquee letter easy to make, it was also so cheap.  Gotta love that right?

(supplies:  cardboard letter, fairy lights, pencil, eraser, ruler, stanley knife, coin.  And glue, not pictured)


First I cut the backside of the letter off, and then covered the remaining with the wallpaper sample.  I used just normal glue to stick the two together.  After waiting for the glue to dry, I then followed the instructions to cut holes for the fairy lights from the tutorial here.  Shove the bulbs through the holes and WooHoo:


My own little Marquee letter, made by me!  Finally a DIY I've done that isn't a total disaster!!



Linking up with the Say G'day Saturday linky party held by the wonderful Natasha of NatashaInOz.

4 comments:

Kaybe said...

Good job. What did we do for craft ideas before Pinterest?

Unknown said...

Oh lovely! That looks fantastic. I'm hopeless at DIY crafty stuff. It never, ever turns out. Ever!
x

Pippa said...

Looks great! Love the idea, you could do so much with it, everyone deserves their name up in lights! :)

Anonymous said...

I cold, straight love this idea!! Hope you're having a gorgeous weekend, gorgeous :)
Cas x