So I broke a little saucer this week. It was one of those blue and white willow ones that are a dime a dozen at the thrift stores. So what did I do with it? I smashed it up alittle more and decided to try and mosaic something. I bought a little $1 terracotta pot from Masters, waterproofed it and began grouting broken plate pieces onto it, and added a few sand dollars around the top.
I'm actually a little happy with it, but there were a few things I should/could have done better. (It certainly isn't my worst DIY work!!)
First: It is so hard to get these little saucer pieces to sit properly because of the round edgey bit on the bottom, so there are a few bits that poke out a bit more than the others.
Second: Don't stop work halfway through and talk to your mum on Skype for a few hours, or have visitors. I sort of left the grout stuff a bit too long to dry and it is as hard as a rock, so its not a smooth as it should be!
Third: Its a very messy job, so I am glad I used throw away containers and plastic tablecloth when I made it!
Fourth: Now I have to try and keep this little fern plant alive.